Getting a new roof is a big home investment. Taking care of your roof and having it inspected regularly will prolong the lifetime of your roofing materials, but eventually you will need to have a new roof installed. The question is: how often should a roof be replaced? Is your house in need of a new roof? The guide below will point you in the right direction.
The Average Lifespan Of A Roof
A roof can last anywhere from 20 to 50 years, depending on what it’s made of and how well it is cared for. Many roofing materials will come with 10 year warranties because that is when the roof is at its prime. You may need to make roof repairs from time to time, especially after heavy storms or damage from fallen tree limbs. With proper maintenance, you can protect your home for decades without having to install a new roof.
Factors That Influence The Life Of Your Roof
There are several factors that determine just how long your roof will last. These include…
- Improper installation – If your roof is not installed correctly, it may leak and get damaged sooner than expected.
- Incorrect roofing materials – Using low-quality roofing materials or choosing the wrong shingles for your environment can cause you to replace your roof at an earlier date
- Neglected repairs – If you do not complete roof repairs in a timely fashion, they will only get worse. Over time, this may create permanent damage that will require completely new roofing.
- The environment – Some areas are naturally prone to more roofing damage than others. For instance, if your home is at the top of a hill in a windy area, the shingles will go through more abuse than they would with little to no wind exposure.
- Foundation settling – Newer homes are subject to more settling than older homes because the ground is adjusting to the weight of the building. If you have a new home with a new roof, you may need to replace the roof faster than someone with an older, settled home.
As you can see, it’s impossible to put a definitive timeframe on how long your roof will last. If you have it inspected and repaired regularly though, you can maximize the life of your existing roof and avoid having to replace it right away.
Get A Roof Inspection To Find Out Your Options
The best way to decide when your roof should be replaced is to get a professional roof inspection. McLean Roofing And Siding is a trusted roofing company in Metro Detroit, MI, and we would be happy to assess your roof for you. If all you need is a roof repair, we will let you know that. If it’s time for a new roof, we will go over all of your options with you so you can get the most out of your roof replacement. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.